A Sunday Jaunt
Andrew I both love the snow and doing snow activities. I truly think we are more active in the winter than the summer. For Christmas, my Dad got Andrew the Garmin Forerunner...It is a GPS for your wrist! Those of you who know my hubby, know that he loves toys, especially technical ones. Basically the forerunner allows you to create routes for running, hiking, snowshoeing etc. It keeps track of the route you took (so you can get back) elevation that you climbed, your speed, distance, pace you should be on, etc, etc...... It also comes with a website that lets you see other routes/paths that people have taken. This toy combines Andrew's loves....working out, maps, GPS and problem solving!
This past Sunday, after looking at different routes almost every day, Andrew suggested we try one out. (Before this he had just been making his own routes.) I was game because I love being in the snow and I knew the dogs would love it too. We had to be back by 5:30, so I was picturing a gentle stroll in a wooded winter wonderland area. We packed up water, snacks, layers, snowshoes, sport poles etc and away we went. When we got to the spot, we realized that snowshoes wouldn't work and stupidly, I didn't think I would really need the sport poles....(again communication breakdown, I was thinking a gentle Sunday stroll) We pass a few people when we start off and I ask if we are going to come back the same way...Andrew said no that the trail made a huge loop...... About 20mins in, we change from a steady incline to switchbacks straight up the side of a mountain! The dogs are loving life and Andrew looks like he is barely working while I am dying!!!! The snow was pretty packed on the trail and the soles of my shoes were not gripping well. After 10min of this, I ask Andrew how much further we had to go; expecting to hear 500 ft or something like that. Nope, 45min more!!!! At this point I am wishing I had a camelback, my yaktraks for grip and the poles....... Instead I reverted back to childhood...I ate the snow, dug my toes in with each step and used the trees around me for support.
Up this Saturday???? An 8hr hike, only I am not going...Andrew and Boots are going to bond by themselves and I am going to have a coffee date with a good girl friend:)




1 Comments:
your trek looks like it was a rewarding one. sometimes the things that present challenges and struggles turn out to be that way!! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home