Saturday, July 18, 2009

Asher's first solid food experience.....

all ready to eatHomemade Buffalo puree - YUM
Since I get to nurse, Daddy got to give Asher his first solid food!

What a cute face! I think he likes it!

So Andrew and I have been talking about starting Asher on solids for about 6 weeks now. My goal since the beginning has been to nurse Asher exclusively for the first 6 months and then start solids. Waiting till then was important to me for 2 reasons....1. he was a preemie and the Dr.'s said it will help him so much the longer I can nurse him....2. waiting helps prevent allergies. My Aunt actually exclusively nursed her kids for their first year before introducing solids for that reason. Then when we went to the Pediatrician and his development therapists in June and asked if he was ready, they all felt that he could handle the swallowing aspect of "solid" food, but they were worried he might take hit in his weight, because it is hard work learning how to eat vs. nurse. Since he is so small, he can't afford to lose any weight, so his Dr. wanted his weight to be closely monitored. Because of that we decided to wait until we were settled at Edwards and had Dr.'s nearby to check his weight regularly.

I am so glad we waited, because Asher went from not interested in our food at all, to constantly reaching for everything we ate, which is one of the biggest signs they are ready for solid food. Then a couple weeks ago while in MN, my friend Krista introduced me to an awesome, alternative, health website by Dr. Westin A. Price. He talks about starting babies on meat, not grains. Mother's milk is largely protein and fats and so a babies stomach has more enzyme's for breaking down meat than grains. Plus, growing babies really need calorie dense, high iron foods which meat has more of, as opposed to processed grains. And meat allergies are extremely rare, but gluten intolerance, wheat allergies, etc are everywhere. So Andrew and I switched gears from thinking rice cereal, did more research and decided to start Asher on Buffalo! (free-range, organic of course!)

It was a complete success! He loved it! Now hopefully he will like it next time, as babies have a way of changing their minds frequently! :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

6:22 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Asher is so cute! I love his little expressions! I hope you're all doing well in the Mohave. :)

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home