Race Car Driving, Shopping and Easter
What an Easter Weekend!!!! 7.5hr. drive down to Northern Virginia on Friday night, shopping with my Dad and a couple siblings, my brother's 18th surprise birthday party, Easter Sunday with my Grandmother and then an 8hr. drive back on Monday! I am tired just writing this and that is the tip of the iceberg of all we did over the weekend!
Andrew and I left from Cambridge around 6:30pm Friday night. We had planned on leaving a little earlier, but the GPS didn't load the map correctly so we had to stop by Andrew's work to re-do it. I started the trip driving......A roadtrip first for us....Normally Andrew drives the whole time, but we decided to share this time :) ("Sharing is caring" as my Dad used to say) The trip went really well. I drove till around 10:30, then Andrew took over and I went to sleep. This was the first time we would be staying in the same room together at my parents house. My sister Brittany had already told me that Bethie and Jesse (the two littlest) were asking questions about that and trying to understand "marriage". We got in around 2am and crashed right away. (we got to stay in my brother's room - he has the nicest bed in the house - a brand new queen size bed in the basement!) We thought because we would staying together and in the basement we would be able to "sleep in" ....wrong! The room is right below the kitchen and bright and early the dogs were awake and running all over....Bethie peered into the room not too much after that and as soon has I acknowledged her, she came running into bed on my side to snuggle. (this was sometime around 8am!) Jesse came down a little while after that, so our bed was filled with squirmy little bodies wanting to chat and play.....(confirming for both of us that we love kids, but would love to wait a couple years for our own ;) 8am may not sound bad to you all, but our "normal" newly married weekend routine is to sleep until well after 10:30am and then enjoy a leisurely breakfast together.......Less than 6hrs. of sleep and 9 other people around was a lot for the morning.
Andrew and I got up and hung out around the house with everyone and then went for a Starbucks run (my family doesn't drink ......Around 12 my Dad asked us to go shopping with him. Bethie and Jesse both wanted to go as well and then James decided to ride along as well.....3 hrs. and 3 malls later I think James regreted that decision. My Dad was in power shopping mode! In the end Andrew had a fabulous new casual summer outfit, I had bright orange crocs and a North Face fleece (my first gift for CO weather) and Bethie, Jesse and Dad all got a pair of shoes. (Bethie and Jesse got crocs) It was really fun for Andrew and I to spend time with James, Bethie and Jesse, even though it was a bit crazy! When we got home it was almost time to take off for James' surprise 18th b-day party. Andrew and John took James to go shopping for his birthday present...poor James (a lot of shopping in one day) The rest of us took off for the indoor race car track to meet up with the other guys invited. This place was awesome! It was modified go-karts on this slick indoor track.....The cars could go around 30mph. We got racing suits to wear over our clothes and had to watch a safety/rules video. After waiting around for forever we finally got to our heat. There were 9 of us racing and some of the boys (particularly my husband!) did not listen to the rules and bumped people all over the track!!! I did so good...I never spun out, bumped anyone and had consistent lap times.......According to the boys I failed miserably and missed the point! Another group went and then we all went again. My mom had to take Brittany's turn because her neck was bothering her.....This time around I had much faster times(I had the 3fastest average lap time). Andrew kept bumping people and causing problems so he had to sit in the time out pit for a while :) All in all it was a great time with everyone.
James did not know that that was just part 1 of the night. Once we got back home the rest of the party was already there waiting for him. We grilled out steaks, had tons of food and had a poker tournament with real prizes for 1st and 2nd place. My friend Meredith stopped by (she was a Bridesmaid) and hung out for a while. My parent's friends the Bramblett's also stopped by with their 3 girls (their two boys were already at the party) So by 8pm we had a house full of about 20+ people. Around 9pm Andrew and I just looked at each and needed to get out of the house. We went for a walk around the neighborhood, just to "hear" the peace and quiet. My Mom had planned on us joining the poker tournament but we were both wiped and called it night be 10pm!!!
The next morning was the usual get everyone to church on time and dressed appropriately mad rush! My family goes to the 10am service at Reston Bible Church (www.restonbible.org) but because it was Easter Sunday we had to get there "really" early to met my grandmother and find enough seats. I stole a fabulous outfit from my sister with these adorable chocolate brown vintage heels. (i love having such a fashion-forward sis...if only she lived closer so I could raid her closet more) After church we chatted with Pastor Mike (who married us) and a lot of my family friends who had yet to meet Andrew (I loved getting to show him off!) Then we all headed up to Starbucks for frapp's and coffee. I almost had a heart attack when I saw Joel drinking a Venti Vanille cream frap with whip cream....84 GRAMS of sugar!!!! I am so glad that his 10yr. old high energy body can burn it off fast! Even though it was Easter Sunday James, Joshua and Joel all had roller hockey games and because this was the one weekend Andrew and I would get to see them play we arragned the day around their schedule. Grandma went back to her hotel to rest a bit and Andrew and I took off with my Dad to watch Joel play. My Dad had told his coach that we were going to be there to watch and would he let Joel play forward.....9 goals later I understood why he doesn't always let Joel play up.....He ended up scoring 9 out of 11 goals and his team won the game! It was a blast to watch him......We all headed back for Easter dinner with my Grandmother.... Leg of lamb, roasted aspragus, potatos, carrots, carrots...Absolutely yummy!
Andrew and I left from Cambridge around 6:30pm Friday night. We had planned on leaving a little earlier, but the GPS didn't load the map correctly so we had to stop by Andrew's work to re-do it. I started the trip driving......A roadtrip first for us....Normally Andrew drives the whole time, but we decided to share this time :) ("Sharing is caring" as my Dad used to say) The trip went really well. I drove till around 10:30, then Andrew took over and I went to sleep. This was the first time we would be staying in the same room together at my parents house. My sister Brittany had already told me that Bethie and Jesse (the two littlest) were asking questions about that and trying to understand "marriage". We got in around 2am and crashed right away. (we got to stay in my brother's room - he has the nicest bed in the house - a brand new queen size bed in the basement!) We thought because we would staying together and in the basement we would be able to "sleep in" ....wrong! The room is right below the kitchen and bright and early the dogs were awake and running all over....Bethie peered into the room not too much after that and as soon has I acknowledged her, she came running into bed on my side to snuggle. (this was sometime around 8am!) Jesse came down a little while after that, so our bed was filled with squirmy little bodies wanting to chat and play.....(confirming for both of us that we love kids, but would love to wait a couple years for our own ;) 8am may not sound bad to you all, but our "normal" newly married weekend routine is to sleep until well after 10:30am and then enjoy a leisurely breakfast together.......Less than 6hrs. of sleep and 9 other people around was a lot for the morning.
Andrew and I got up and hung out around the house with everyone and then went for a Starbucks run (my family doesn't drink ......Around 12 my Dad asked us to go shopping with him. Bethie and Jesse both wanted to go as well and then James decided to ride along as well.....3 hrs. and 3 malls later I think James regreted that decision. My Dad was in power shopping mode! In the end Andrew had a fabulous new casual summer outfit, I had bright orange crocs and a North Face fleece (my first gift for CO weather) and Bethie, Jesse and Dad all got a pair of shoes. (Bethie and Jesse got crocs) It was really fun for Andrew and I to spend time with James, Bethie and Jesse, even though it was a bit crazy! When we got home it was almost time to take off for James' surprise 18th b-day party. Andrew and John took James to go shopping for his birthday present...poor James (a lot of shopping in one day) The rest of us took off for the indoor race car track to meet up with the other guys invited. This place was awesome! It was modified go-karts on this slick indoor track.....The cars could go around 30mph. We got racing suits to wear over our clothes and had to watch a safety/rules video. After waiting around for forever we finally got to our heat. There were 9 of us racing and some of the boys (particularly my husband!) did not listen to the rules and bumped people all over the track!!! I did so good...I never spun out, bumped anyone and had consistent lap times.......According to the boys I failed miserably and missed the point! Another group went and then we all went again. My mom had to take Brittany's turn because her neck was bothering her.....This time around I had much faster times(I had the 3fastest average lap time). Andrew kept bumping people and causing problems so he had to sit in the time out pit for a while :) All in all it was a great time with everyone.
James did not know that that was just part 1 of the night. Once we got back home the rest of the party was already there waiting for him. We grilled out steaks, had tons of food and had a poker tournament with real prizes for 1st and 2nd place. My friend Meredith stopped by (she was a Bridesmaid) and hung out for a while. My parent's friends the Bramblett's also stopped by with their 3 girls (their two boys were already at the party) So by 8pm we had a house full of about 20+ people. Around 9pm Andrew and I just looked at each and needed to get out of the house. We went for a walk around the neighborhood, just to "hear" the peace and quiet. My Mom had planned on us joining the poker tournament but we were both wiped and called it night be 10pm!!!
The next morning was the usual get everyone to church on time and dressed appropriately mad rush! My family goes to the 10am service at Reston Bible Church (www.restonbible.org) but because it was Easter Sunday we had to get there "really" early to met my grandmother and find enough seats. I stole a fabulous outfit from my sister with these adorable chocolate brown vintage heels. (i love having such a fashion-forward sis...if only she lived closer so I could raid her closet more) After church we chatted with Pastor Mike (who married us) and a lot of my family friends who had yet to meet Andrew (I loved getting to show him off!) Then we all headed up to Starbucks for frapp's and coffee. I almost had a heart attack when I saw Joel drinking a Venti Vanille cream frap with whip cream....84 GRAMS of sugar!!!! I am so glad that his 10yr. old high energy body can burn it off fast! Even though it was Easter Sunday James, Joshua and Joel all had roller hockey games and because this was the one weekend Andrew and I would get to see them play we arragned the day around their schedule. Grandma went back to her hotel to rest a bit and Andrew and I took off with my Dad to watch Joel play. My Dad had told his coach that we were going to be there to watch and would he let Joel play forward.....9 goals later I understood why he doesn't always let Joel play up.....He ended up scoring 9 out of 11 goals and his team won the game! It was a blast to watch him......We all headed back for Easter dinner with my Grandmother.... Leg of lamb, roasted aspragus, potatos, carrots, carrots...Absolutely yummy!




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home