Home Brew
So we started making our own beer! Andrew and I had decided a long time ago, that we could almost open the perfect restaurant, specializing in wings, sweet potato fries, and gourmet pizza's. (though we are mostly organic and paleo-diet people, when we cheat, we really cheat!) The only thing we were missing was some great beer! So a little over a month ago we bought our first home brew kit. Our neighbor and TPS classmate, Adam, has been making beer for a long time now, so he has helped us with the process. It was supposed to be a joint project for Andrew and me, but it turns out making beer is sort of boring, so I let Asher, Andrew, and Adam have their "manly" time brewing and I figured I could enjoy it when it is all done!
Our first go will be a stout! We both love dark beers and bonus for me, they are good for helping milk production in nursing, so hopefully we won't mess it up!
Asher helping Daddy unpack the brew kit! (www.morebeer.com is where we got our stuff from)

Asher helping Daddy...brewing beer requires a lot of time spent stirring and watching to make sure it doesn't boil over!

Doing something important, I think this was the cooling stage.

Fermenting away....It will be in this stage for a couple weeks. Every time we walk past this closet, we can smell the yeast working. Good thing I like that smell!
Bottling, slightly time consuming, (5 gallons is a lot to bottle) but relatively easy. After bottling it still takes a few more weeks before it is drinkable.
Nothing better than a great beer in a frosty beer mug!
First batch is great! Yeah, we didn't mess it up! Can't wait for the second batch that is fermenting away...A Belgian double!




2 Comments:
Hello,
I just laughed when I read this because Luke made his first beer a month ago! It was a breakfast ale. Luke loves it but it taste too much like coffee for me.
Melissa
Not a beer drinker as you may remember but I am curious as to how that steamy beer facial worked out- during the cooling stage.
Post a Comment
<< Home