Dangerous?
I have been thinking more and more about whether I should make this blog private. Andrew's brother and I talked a lot about identity protection while we were on vacation and then my Dad called quite concerned about it too. I don't quite know what to do....
On one hand I don't want to chose fear, but on the other I don't want to be unwise either. If I password protect this blog, should I also do something about Facebook?
I am not a good journaler (if that's a word) and my follow-through is lacking most days, so the thought of making people jump through the hoop of emailing me to get the password (and me getting back to them!) and possibly not having anyone even want to get the password, makes me not want to go through it. I mean, honestly, if there was only the grandparents reading this, I don't think I would keep up with it all. We skype enough with them, that they don't need blog posts too!
Anyone out there struggle with this too? Those of you who password protect, do you feel more at peace? Friends with open blogs, do you do anything to "protect" yourself?




8 Comments:
I keep a blog because I am not a scrapbooker, and the blog is my way of remembering LB's babyhood. She is growing so fast-- so it has been fun to be able to look back at the blog and remember. Eventually, I'd like to consolidate the posts into a photobook.
Even if no one read the blog, I would still keep it up, so I didn't struggle with that end of it.
Plus, there are too many crazies out there. I had a friend who told me that her brother (a cop in Philly) said a lot of kidnappers that prey on photos of cute kids. That was enough for me to go private.
Our blog is private too, just cause it makes me feel weird about the possibility of someone gaining personal info without my knowing. Of course, there's plenty of opportunity out there, but why give someone another reason? On the other hand, some people are forced to be public... a dilemma I hope to never have!
I hope that you don't make your blog private. I am Erin R.'s mom, you don't know me, but I love to read about your adventures as a mom. I would not ask for your password...
As a military wife, you should go private 100%. But only if I get the password :-) JK!! Seriously, if Andy would ever get captured (heaven forbid) they can use all this stuff against him to make him "talk" if you know what I mean. Joe reminds me all of the time to watch what I say on facebook and make sure my settings stay secure. We miss you tons and once a week or so we get on here to get our Anderson fix. :-)
brooks- if you want, you can do "blog to book" through blurb, and then delete old entries...? just a thought. another idea is to change your blog's name and have pseudonyms for you and your fam. i think that even with a password, the people who really want in could probably hack in anyway. my 2 cents. ;) love catching up on your world through your blog. miss you friend! -beth
Yes, this is a tough one. I try to keep my blog "safe" to a certain degree, but it would not be hard for someone to find out information about us if they wanted.
As far as Facebook goes, we are constantly debating whether to quit that, Steve especially. We try to make the settings pretty private and I am conatntly going through my "Friends" and deleting those who really are not or are no longer. But Facebook is still such a great way to keep in touch.
(I guess my mom reads your blog too.)
well...there is danger everywhere. I don't know. You might want to eliminate your full name information/change blogs, etc. I agree with you and not wanting to give in to the fear factor, though.
You don't know me--I'm a friend of Ruthie's in Boston and saw your blog on a link from hers. I've had a personal webpage since 1994 with lots of pictures, and of course we added to it when we had a baby and update it all the time (essentially a blog, but I code it by hand). I think public blogs/webpages are totally fine--I put stuff up that I'm fine with the world knowing. Just my .02. . . .
Post a Comment
<< Home