Catch Up - Our Busy last 2 months in Boston
Sorry for being so neglecting and leaving you all hanging on what is going on in our wonderfully chaotic, always busy lives. Since I last posted Andrew and I have done the following:
- I did a wedding for a friend with about 180 people on the Saturday of Memorial Day wknd. It was for two friends of Andrew's that he met at MIT (all 3 of them had met in a study group the first semester there and the guy was from the Naval Academy) It was a busy day but so much fun. For me weddings are fun if I can keep everyone happy and things running smoothly.
- After the wedding Andrew and I drove to Cape Cod for the rest of the weekend. Andrew had met some of my extended family (on my Dad's side) at the wedding, which means he really didn't meet them. My Dad's two sisters (his only siblings), their families and my grandparents all hung out at the Cape, relaxing, eating and drinking. It was a wonderful break from all the thesis stress!
- The following weekend Andrew and I drove to NH for the morning to see one of my students that I had been training all year complete the Mooseman ¼ Ironman race (I had done it last year and thoroughly enjoyed watching this year) we then drove home and chaperoned my high school's Prom. My school doesn't want anyone to feel excluded so it is a whole school "prom" on a boat. It was crazy and actually sad for us to see what the girls where wearing (or lack there of - scary to think what will be "normal" when our kids are in high school) The following day we drove down to CT to see one of my cousins be confirmed in the Methodist church and go to the party afterwards. (It was a very LONG weekend!)
- Andrew FINISHED his thesis!!!!!!!!! - 111pgs and I got a shout-out in the acknowledgement section! The finished title was: Recovering Sample Diversity in Rao-Blackwellized Particle Filters for Simultaneous Localization and Mapping I couldn't even say the title right for a while (I would mess up on the word Rao)
- I finished teaching my crazy, high schooler's. I had been teaching at the school for 3 years and it was one of the most challenging, life-altering, character-shaping experiences. My kids got me a bunch of random, funny gifts and we all went out for ice cream the last day!
- I said good-bye to all my clients. That was so hard as I had spent 4 years with most of my clients. Many of them had become like second family to me as I was in their homes with them several times a week and have been through health, sicknesses, new babies, marriages, divorces, etc and they had been with me for all my own drama the past few years!
- Watched the whole first season of 24. Andrew and I only have a TV that is set-up to watch movies. We cannot get any channels, nor do we have time to watch TV so when his thesis was over we borrowed the seasons of 24 from my old roommate. That show is addicting!!!!! Our longest stretch of watching was 8 episodes in a row. We can't wait to watch the rest of the seasons when we get to CO!
- My Dad came for a visit - My Dad wanted to see our apartment and watch Andrew graduate from MIT so he made in just under the wire. He flew in late, late Thursday night and then left at 6am Monday morning right before the movers showed up. When he walked into our apartment he just started laughing because he couldn't believe how small our place was.
- 2 graduations in one day (Friday June 9th - Andrew's and my high school's) We did 9 hours of graduation stuff! Andrew's was from 7am till 1pm (we cut out early) and then my high school's was 1-4pm. Andrew looked awesome in his military dress blues and I had an emotional time saying good-bye to all my students and co-teachers.
- Huge going away party - After the graduation stuff all day we had a graduation/housewarming/good-bye party at our place. The rain held off mostly and about 60 of our friends made it out. (the party was actually on the roof deck of our building) It was an awesome time of saying good-bye, food, prayer and tears.
- Monday June 12th the packers and movers came - the packers were told that Andrew and I had about 3,500pds of stuff which should have taken only about 4 hrs to pack up and move...The estimate was just a "little off" They said packing wise we had between 10,00-12,000pds of stuff! It took them over 9 hrs. to pack everything and then load it into the moving truck. (we had things at Andy's old place as well) I felt awful for them and was sure that they hated us, but Andrew said they were fine and really weren't mad at us!
- Tuesday the 13th we woke up, finished packing the car, cleaned the apartment, did a few last minute errands and started our month long roadtrip! The last day was very emotional for me (actually the last few weeks of saying good-bye had made every day emotional!)
Well, that is the "brief" synopsis of what was going on before we left for the road trip. Our road trip is going wonderfully! We have had a blast together and seen SO much of the US. I will be posting stories soon!




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home