Bridget - God is working!
I am cutting and pasting an email I just got on Bridget. A friend from Boston wrote it who just got back from visiting her. It is long, but gives a good update on everything. Also if you have never read it, go out and get The Shack. It has really impacted Bridget(and myself). She has been recommending it and handing it out to everyone!
I arrived Thursday morning. Bridget had a difficult night Wednesday and was hospitalized Thursday. I spent a few hours at her house with her mom Karen and Gracie, who is just adorable and sweet and smart and oh-so cute. I spent some time talking to Karen while Gracie napped. She said one of her biggest worries is that B admittedly has a low tolerance for pain and Karen worries about that, saying what scares her the most is if B has a lot of pain at the end of it all.
Her brother Adam, spent the night with her on Thursday, which was an even worse night than Wednesday. B had a high fever (103) and terrible chills. Adam was holding her in an attempt to get her warmed and B told me later she thought she was going to die in his arms. The good news from the fever is the doctors think it is a result of necrosis of the tumors on her liver, basically, the tumors dying. The largest one on her liver has shrunk 60% as a result of the first month of chemo. As the doctor was explaining this, Bridget said something like, "Well, I hope that doesn't happen again." And we all kind of looked at her and Steve said, "Uh Bridget, last time I checked terrible fever was still better than cancer." I mention it to show that there wasn't a somber mood surrounding her. There was a levity in the room at the same time the seriousness of the situation was acknowledged. Her second course of chemo starts Tuesday and will go for another three weeks.
She is receiving IV drips of fluids/fat/protein to help rehydrate and nourish her. While I was in the hospital on Saturday, a nurse came in to tell her her current weight and she was surprised to learn she's lost an additional four pounds since being admitted. She wasn't able to keep food down on Friday during the day, but had some soup close to midnight and was able to keep both breakfast and lunch down on Saturday. Overall, she's lost about 20 pounds, which is discouraging. She says she would love to be able to eat and actually had a dream about a cheeseburger!
Different doctors (surgeon, oncologist, ob/gyn) also visited throughout the day. The ob said she and Steve need to begin to think about what plan of action they would want to take if she went into pre-term labor. One thing that would need to happen, is she would be transferred to another hospital on the other side of the river (farther from their home) as the one she is in currently doesn't have a NICU to be able to support the needs of the baby. Despite B losing all the weight, the baby seems to be doing well. B mentioned she didn't feel the baby moving much on Thurs/Fri/Sat, but that is likely due to all the stress to the baby's system with B's fever etc.
At one point, B was telling me about when she was admitted on Thursday. She said she felt like it was dark out, despite being daytime (it's quite rainy in Portland)! and when she was wheeled into her room she looked out the window and saw a cross. I hadn't noticed it, as I had my back to the window all the times I was in her room, but directly outside was a giant cross, rising from a chapel next door. It was perfectly aligned with the head of her bed and she said it brought her peace. Also in her room (which I did notice) was a framed quote that simply said, "Be not afraid, for I am with you." This is a shorter version of a quote she saw on the day she was in the hospital by herself and received her initial diagnosis of cancer. She said she's found an incredible calm and peace and truly does feel God is with her. She does have steadfast faith and it was very inspiring to me. She spoke matter-of-factly about her mortality. She was asking about Isabelle and school and said, "Man, I would just love to be able to be there when Gracie goes to Nursery School." She's frustrated that she can't keep food down, but otherwise is rather upbeat. When she got shots of insulin, she didn't even wince, but kept a smile on her face the entire time.
When B was originally admitted in May, she was on the maternity ward. When they moved upstairs to the cancer care ward, the nurses asked late one night when the family was going to be leaving. They all looked at her and said they weren't. The nurse said most people don't stay overnight with the patient, but B has never been left alone and has had Steve, Adam, or another family member with her each night. Her Dad will be coming back next week and her paternal grandparents and maternal grandmother will also be flying out West to see her.
She did say that Gracie is slowly getting used to B no longer being the primary caregiver. (Karen and Adam are living with them full time). As difficult as that is, B saw this as a good thing for Gracie in light of the posible future when what we all dread might actually happen. "Kids are so resilient," Bridget said, "And I know Gracie has begun that transition now. It's a good thing for her."
She was eager to hear about everyone from Boston so I filled her in as best I could. She had a beautiful, bright, glowing smile spread across her face when I shared happy news of pregnancies, weddings, personal successes etc and a look of sorrow when I shared not-so-good news. She had such sincere feelings for everyone and continues to be the Bridget we know and love -- concerned about others more than herself. She asked me to pass along her best to everyone. Her Dad was there too and one night (can't remember which)! he got a call from his wife back in RI. He stepped out to take the call, but then popped his head in to tell us that his wife was getting her hair done and the woman next to her was telling her stylist about someone in need of prayers and was describing Bridget! Bridget didn't recognize the last name of the person, but I vaguely recognized it as a new hire of long ago.
She is really, really humbled by the love and support she has received from everyone and said it was special to hear from so many different people. I know they appreciate continued prayers, particularly as they relate to the nausea subsiding, the pain subsiding and not going into labor yet.
I arrived Thursday morning. Bridget had a difficult night Wednesday and was hospitalized Thursday. I spent a few hours at her house with her mom Karen and Gracie, who is just adorable and sweet and smart and oh-so cute. I spent some time talking to Karen while Gracie napped. She said one of her biggest worries is that B admittedly has a low tolerance for pain and Karen worries about that, saying what scares her the most is if B has a lot of pain at the end of it all.
Her brother Adam, spent the night with her on Thursday, which was an even worse night than Wednesday. B had a high fever (103) and terrible chills. Adam was holding her in an attempt to get her warmed and B told me later she thought she was going to die in his arms. The good news from the fever is the doctors think it is a result of necrosis of the tumors on her liver, basically, the tumors dying. The largest one on her liver has shrunk 60% as a result of the first month of chemo. As the doctor was explaining this, Bridget said something like, "Well, I hope that doesn't happen again." And we all kind of looked at her and Steve said, "Uh Bridget, last time I checked terrible fever was still better than cancer." I mention it to show that there wasn't a somber mood surrounding her. There was a levity in the room at the same time the seriousness of the situation was acknowledged. Her second course of chemo starts Tuesday and will go for another three weeks.
She is receiving IV drips of fluids/fat/protein to help rehydrate and nourish her. While I was in the hospital on Saturday, a nurse came in to tell her her current weight and she was surprised to learn she's lost an additional four pounds since being admitted. She wasn't able to keep food down on Friday during the day, but had some soup close to midnight and was able to keep both breakfast and lunch down on Saturday. Overall, she's lost about 20 pounds, which is discouraging. She says she would love to be able to eat and actually had a dream about a cheeseburger!
Different doctors (surgeon, oncologist, ob/gyn) also visited throughout the day. The ob said she and Steve need to begin to think about what plan of action they would want to take if she went into pre-term labor. One thing that would need to happen, is she would be transferred to another hospital on the other side of the river (farther from their home) as the one she is in currently doesn't have a NICU to be able to support the needs of the baby. Despite B losing all the weight, the baby seems to be doing well. B mentioned she didn't feel the baby moving much on Thurs/Fri/Sat, but that is likely due to all the stress to the baby's system with B's fever etc.
At one point, B was telling me about when she was admitted on Thursday. She said she felt like it was dark out, despite being daytime (it's quite rainy in Portland)! and when she was wheeled into her room she looked out the window and saw a cross. I hadn't noticed it, as I had my back to the window all the times I was in her room, but directly outside was a giant cross, rising from a chapel next door. It was perfectly aligned with the head of her bed and she said it brought her peace. Also in her room (which I did notice) was a framed quote that simply said, "Be not afraid, for I am with you." This is a shorter version of a quote she saw on the day she was in the hospital by herself and received her initial diagnosis of cancer. She said she's found an incredible calm and peace and truly does feel God is with her. She does have steadfast faith and it was very inspiring to me. She spoke matter-of-factly about her mortality. She was asking about Isabelle and school and said, "Man, I would just love to be able to be there when Gracie goes to Nursery School." She's frustrated that she can't keep food down, but otherwise is rather upbeat. When she got shots of insulin, she didn't even wince, but kept a smile on her face the entire time.
When B was originally admitted in May, she was on the maternity ward. When they moved upstairs to the cancer care ward, the nurses asked late one night when the family was going to be leaving. They all looked at her and said they weren't. The nurse said most people don't stay overnight with the patient, but B has never been left alone and has had Steve, Adam, or another family member with her each night. Her Dad will be coming back next week and her paternal grandparents and maternal grandmother will also be flying out West to see her.
She did say that Gracie is slowly getting used to B no longer being the primary caregiver. (Karen and Adam are living with them full time). As difficult as that is, B saw this as a good thing for Gracie in light of the posible future when what we all dread might actually happen. "Kids are so resilient," Bridget said, "And I know Gracie has begun that transition now. It's a good thing for her."
She was eager to hear about everyone from Boston so I filled her in as best I could. She had a beautiful, bright, glowing smile spread across her face when I shared happy news of pregnancies, weddings, personal successes etc and a look of sorrow when I shared not-so-good news. She had such sincere feelings for everyone and continues to be the Bridget we know and love -- concerned about others more than herself. She asked me to pass along her best to everyone. Her Dad was there too and one night (can't remember which)! he got a call from his wife back in RI. He stepped out to take the call, but then popped his head in to tell us that his wife was getting her hair done and the woman next to her was telling her stylist about someone in need of prayers and was describing Bridget! Bridget didn't recognize the last name of the person, but I vaguely recognized it as a new hire of long ago.
She is really, really humbled by the love and support she has received from everyone and said it was special to hear from so many different people. I know they appreciate continued prayers, particularly as they relate to the nausea subsiding, the pain subsiding and not going into labor yet.




1 Comments:
Thank you for posting this update on Bridget. I attended Park Street from 2000-2003 and had the pleasure being a part of a small group with Bridget and Steve. I have since moved to NY and was informed of Bridget's condition in the beginning of May. My family, friends and church have been praying ever since. I haven't had an update until tonight, when I decided there must be something out there on the Internet, so "googled" it. I will return to your website for future updates. Thanks again! - S
Post a Comment
<< Home