Community....
(just a few of the old friends from Boston)Many people know that I miss Boston terribly.....I loved (almost) everything about the city. More than the city though was the community I found there. Urban living definitely breeds a different kind of community. I have found amazing women here in the Springs, that pour into my life in a way that I have never experienced before. I love our church and the community of our small group, but I miss the community I had in Boston.
On Saturday night after our good friends Dan and Danita's wedding, Andrew and I had my old Boston crew over. Almost half of the people had been my housemates at one point or another. Most of the people I had known since around 2002. God has changed all of our paths, some still live in Boston, others here in CO, several in CA and one is even in Scotland. Our house was quickly filled with laughter and talking. We ate great pizza, drank good beer, played games, talked, and just enjoyed being together. (if you have never played Big Booty, you are missing out!!!) It was a bit bittersweet me for, because I had to spend more time catching up on the basic life things rather than being able to go very deep....too much time has passed since I have seen them!
The difference I have noticed from there to here, is the spontaneity of the people. It takes a matter of a few phone calls/emails in Boston to have 10-15 good friends over to hang out for a night and friends will always bring along someone else; a new friend, a sibling in town, co-workers, whatever; new people are always welcome and continuously joining in.....Case in point...5 people showed up that I had no idea were coming to join the party and I had only met one of them before. Here things feel more confined, regimented....Parties are planned in advance, with a set invite list....calls must be made if extra people are going to be brought. I felt so blessed to have a home that I could just open up and welcome everyone that came. If you are a local friend reading this......let's be more spontaneous....feel free to invite others when you come over to my place:) I want community that happens, not one that is too scheduled.




2 Comments:
I'll be there in 5 minutes, and I have several people to pick up on my way over. I say it jokingly, but, the thing is, Brooks, you would welcome us all with open arms! Now that is a gift!! Truly. ~ Suz.
Thanks for bravely blogging and offering your journeying heart! I’ve tagged your blog for an “Excellent Blog” Award !
Peace, Suz!
My Blog: Made for Joy
Post a Comment
<< Home