Influencing 10,000 people
I have started reading some of John C. Maxwell's books on leadership. At the beginning of the book Leadership 101 he states that "...Each of us influences at least 10,000 other people in our lifetime"...... That statement gave me pause. I consider myself an out-going, people-lover kinda person, but 10,000 seemed like a huge number. I have spent a couple days thinking about it now and can see how that is possible. One huge factor is how you define the word "influence". Is the brief contact I have with clients at Ann Taylor long enough or intense enough, to have influence on them?
The other night Andy and I went out with 3 friends from his base (two of his co-workers and one of their wives) to a Jazz bistro for drinks and then this delightful coffee shop for tea and dessert. (Two places that have been saving graces for me, in the land of chains restaurants and suburban sprawl here in the Springs.) When we got to the coffee shop a couple was using one of the big tables and when they saw us looking around trying to figure out how we could all sit together, they got up and started moving to another smaller table. When I went over to thank them, I saw they were playing Mexican Train Domino's. One thing led another and within minutes the 5 of us joined the 2 of them to play! We spent the next couple of hours chatting over several rousing games. As I drove home, I felt so blessed by their kindness to move tables, and then to let us join in and play. Whether we meet up with them again or not, it is fun memory I will always have. Is that "influence"? If it is, it makes you wonder what influence you make in such a short time.......
What is influence to you? Have you been around someone for long time and not felt influenced? Have you met someone on the T, the grocery store, coffee shop, church, or a bookstore that in 5 minutes has left a mark, an impact on you; influenced you?
The other night Andy and I went out with 3 friends from his base (two of his co-workers and one of their wives) to a Jazz bistro for drinks and then this delightful coffee shop for tea and dessert. (Two places that have been saving graces for me, in the land of chains restaurants and suburban sprawl here in the Springs.) When we got to the coffee shop a couple was using one of the big tables and when they saw us looking around trying to figure out how we could all sit together, they got up and started moving to another smaller table. When I went over to thank them, I saw they were playing Mexican Train Domino's. One thing led another and within minutes the 5 of us joined the 2 of them to play! We spent the next couple of hours chatting over several rousing games. As I drove home, I felt so blessed by their kindness to move tables, and then to let us join in and play. Whether we meet up with them again or not, it is fun memory I will always have. Is that "influence"? If it is, it makes you wonder what influence you make in such a short time.......
What is influence to you? Have you been around someone for long time and not felt influenced? Have you met someone on the T, the grocery store, coffee shop, church, or a bookstore that in 5 minutes has left a mark, an impact on you; influenced you?




1 Comments:
I will say this, Brooks, you have significantly touched me! And I am honored to have the opportunity to connect with you here in this place - C Springs. -- Suz.
Post a Comment
<< Home