We're "Parents!!!!"
Yup that’s right…..Our family of just Andrew and me is expanding. We just got a dog!!!!!! It happened completely randomly and quickly, but he is so great! On Thursday (June 14th) after going for a massage with my friend Melissa, she and I decided to stop by the Humane Society on our way for coffee. (actually it was my idea, but since she loves dogs she was happy to go) She brought me there for the first time a few weeks ago. It quickly became my favorite place to visit with Andrew or on my days off.
Andrew and I have spent over a month now talking about getting a dog, what kind of dog we want, how old, how big, etc….. I have wanted a little dog and a big dog since we got married. He has just wanted a big dog that would run with him and go fishing with him. Puppies were tugging at our hearts every time we were at the Humane Society, but realistically with my job we couldn’t spend the needed time training a puppy. Well, on my way out the door, there was a special room with a highlighted dog in it. His name was Boots, he was a big German Shepard mix and the info on him said he would love to go mountain climbing, fishing, camping etc….His last owners had neglected him and he needed good loving! Melissa and I stood there for a few minutes checking him out. What impressed me was that he was under 18months old and yet he just laid calmly in a room all by himself. After a moment I decided I wanted to meet him. Well one thing led to another and after meeting him and taking him for a little walk I was smitten! (funny side note….he is completely housebroken, but on his way out the door for his walk he peed in the potted plant!!! Melissa and I were laughing so hard and I was glad I have no indoor plants!)
The only hitch to falling in love with him was that Andrew was out of town till Sunday (June 17th). I knew Boots wouldn’t be there on Sunday and his temperament seemed perfect for us! (the whole time I was with him, he never jumped on anyone, barked or whined) I called Andrew right away and told him I had something important to discuss, after a moment he said “This is about a dog isn’t” (he knows me so well!) He was in the middle of a conference in WY, so we texted back and forth with me sending him phone pictures as well (thank goodness for modern technology!) After about 30min we decided we would think about the dog overnight and I would come get him first thing in the morning if we agreed on him. Melissa and I left and went to Walmart… Within a few minutes of being at Walmart Andrew texted me that we should just go ahead and get him......So back Melissa and I went with less than 15 minutes to spare before they closed.
In a bit of shock I started filling out the paper work, got all the info on neutering, vets, feeding etc and about 6:40 walked out with Boots! After a short walk in the doggie park at the shelter we tried to get him into to car to leave....Obstacle #1 he doesn't like cars!!!! It took both Melissa and I coaxing, pulling and pushing to get him in! (mind you he is at least 70pds!) Off to Pet Smart we went and I was suddenly meeting other owners, talking about their choice of toy/crate/training treat etc. (I hear having kids and meeting other parents at the playground is a similar experience) Overall, he did excellent in PetSmart. I was nervous about him being around other dogs, but he didn't bark once and let a little boy come right up to him and start petting him. After Pet Smart we went back to Walmart to get a crate (starting to learn the ropes - Pet Smart is great, but much more pricey than Walmart)
Around 8:30pm I finally got Boots home to his new place. We took a short walk around the neighborhood and then after the days excitement headed to bed......Obstacle #2 He doesn't like our stairs. He climbed them fine, but they are very steep and he was completely against coming back down again. It took over 30min of coaxing, calling, showing treats etc, before he attempted coming down. He is getting better with them each day! (we are not going to be letting him into our bedroom, but since the loft is our family room we are letting him upstairs)
Obstacle #3 = Squirrels. Turns out that so far Boots is as calm as he was in the shelter. I have yet to hear him give a full bark even when meeting other dogs on our walks. He always just wants to be right next to me........Expect on walks when we see a squirrel. I pulled both my right bicep and an upper back muscle trying to hold onto the leash whenever he would see a squirrel. Again he never barked, he just was frantic to try and get at the squirrel....... I promptly went right back to Pet Smart on my lunch break and got the Gentle Leader Chest Harness......It worked great today on our walk and I hope it keeps working!
Tomorrow Boots and Andrew meet! I am sure it will go well and they will become best fishing/hiking/camping buddies! I am really exicted to see more of Boots personality come out! Stay tuned for more stories as we grow and learn as parents ;)




3 Comments:
How exciting!! We really want a dog as well, but this would entail purchasing a house first, since most landlords have a "no pet" policy. Pfooey!
He looks adorable! Sounds like you guys are doing great, your new home looks beautiful- Congrats on both!
Love your pictures of Boots. :) Miss you friend, but hoping we can hook up when I am out there. Corb and I fly in Jul 24 - Aug 2. When are you free?
K
Post a Comment
<< Home